Monday, September 10, 2012

filling the freezer

It all started here, at the Amenia Farmers' Market, this past Friday.


I walked down to Nancy's tent to give her the two slabs of bacon we bartered for the week before but which were left in my cooler at the end of the day. I didn't even make it to her table before I spotted these cases of tomatoes, forty pounds heavy, for - get this - $16 each. Knowing full well I had no business taking home a forty pound case of tomatoes, I oogled them and promptly shared a photo of them on facebook in the hopes that someone else would take them (all of them, please!) home for the weekend. But, the trouble with being a vendor at a farmers' market is that once you see something, once it's on your mind, you can't shake it because you're there and it's there. You see where I'm going with this? That top case of plum tomatoes? Yup. It came home with me.


Given that my experience with canning is limited at best, and that improperly canned tomatoes promise to poison every member of the family, I opted for freezing. And given that today, early in September, I really have no idea how I'd like to use these tomatoes in, say, the depths of December, I opted to keep things simple. Just a quick dunk in boiling water to slip off the skins, then I ran about half through the presser and left the other half whole. I filled quart containers with the whole tomatoes and then topped them off with puree. Finally, into the freezer they went.


Forty pounds of Summer's goodness, processed into 18 quarts and saved for the coming dark days of Winter.


Why, you might wonder, did I not put up my own tomatoes? Two words (and some heartbreak): late blight.

6 comments:

  1. I think I would have done the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, bliss. If I had more than a tiny NYC freezer, I would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've few constraints on freezer space here. Four chest freezers, a commercial three-door, a residential upright and three fridge/freezers... Makes it sort of way too easy to take the lazy route!

      Delete
  3. So sorry about the late blight, but hurray for market bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, we know the heartbreak of late blight. :( What I'd like to know is how other people grow tomatoes like that? :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have given you a Liebster award! See my blog here http://stitchoneknittoo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/sunday-23-september.html

    ReplyDelete